Courses a.y. 2016/2017
20534 INSTITUTIONS, GOVERNMENT AND SOCIETY - MODULE II B
20546 POLITICAL SCIENCE & INSTITUTIONS AND ECONOMIC OUTCOMES
30334 INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS
40314 POLITICAL ECONOMICS OF CONFLICT AND INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS
Degree in Economics and Social Sciences (summa cum laude) at Bocconi University, 1991; Dottorato in Economia Politica at University of Pavia, 1995; Ph.D. in Economics Harvard University, 1996.
Professor of Political Science, Bocconi University, since 2014; Professor of Political Science and Economics, Columbia University, since 2007; Fellow Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research (IGIER); Research Associate National Bureau of Economic Research; Visitor Einaudi Institute for Economics and Finance; Part-time Professor of Economics at the European University Institute, 2009-11; Associate Professor of Economics and Political Science at the Ohio State University (2004-07).
Game theory, mechanism design, political economy, governance institutions, development economics, behavioral and public economics, comparative politics and international relations.
His main recent publications are listed below. Further details on his publications are provided in the personal page.
- American Journal of Political Science (forthcoming): “Turnout Across Democracies” (with Helios Herrera and Salvatore Nunnari); previous version is NBER working paper, august 2014;
- Economic Aspects of Genocide, Mass Atrocities, and Their Prevention, Oxford University Press edited volume (forthcoming): Chapter 6: “Incentives and Constraints for Government Mass Killings: a Game-Theoretic Approach” (with Joan Esteban and Dominic Rohner);
- Review of Economic Studies (2015): “Mediation and Peace” (with Johannes Horner and Francesco Squintani), Vol. 82, 1483-501;
- Quarterly Journal of Economics (2015): “The Geography of Inter-State Resource Wars” (with Francesco Caselli and Dominic Rohner) Vol 130-1, pp. 267-315;
- Journal of Political Economy (2015): “Strategic Mass Killings” (with Joan Esteban and Dominic Rohner), Vol. 123-5; International Geneva Award winner 2015;
- Journal of Development Economics (2015): “Resource Concentration and Civil Wars” (with Dominic Rohner), Vol. 117, 32-47;
- Social Choice and Welfare (2015): “Approval Quorums Dominate Participation Quorums” (with Francois Maniquet), Vol. 45-1, 1-27 (lead article);
- Journal of Public Economics (2014): “A Volatility-Based Theory of Fiscal Union Desirability,” (with Jaime Luque and Jose’ Tavares), Vol. 112-C, 1-11 (lead article);
- Economic Journal (2014): “Turnout and Power Sharing” (with Helios Herrera and Tom Palfrey), Vol. 124 (issue 574), 131-62;
- Journal of Theoretical Politics (2014): “Ideology and Information in Policy making” (with Richard Van Weelden), Vol. 25(3), 412-39 – (awarded the 2015 Elinor Ostrom Prize for the best paper published in JTP during 2014);
- Economica (2014): “The Incumbency Effects of Signalling” (with Francesco Caselli, Tom Cunningham and Ines Moreno de Barreda), Vol. 81 (issue 323), 397-418;