30338 - NEGOTIATION SKILLS
Course taught in English
Go to class group/s: 23
- Increasing the awareness about how negotiation skills can contribute to effective decision and policy making processes.
- Understanding the mandate to identify situations where negotiating makes sense.
- Presenting a framework to support the analysis of negotiation situations.
- Explaining the different strategies to negotiate effectively with diverse stakeholders.
- Analyzing main techniques to execute the negotiation strategy.
- Discussing case studies to support the concrete application of the suggested frameworks and techniques.
- Using exercises to facilitate the development of negotiation skills.
During the course, students prepare an assignment (as a team or individual) to experience and describe the typical dynamics of a negotiation process. Furthermore, an individual written final exam concludes the course. This final exam determines 70% of the final grade, while the assignment accounts for the remaining 30%.
Students can earn bonus points (up to 2 points) through active contribution to the class discussion.
The individual final exam consists of three open questions. There are not partial exams.
For non attending students
The individual final written exam determines 100% of the course grade. The exam consists of three open questions.
- R. FISHER, W.L. URY, Getting to yes, negotiating an agreement without giving in, London, Random House Business Book, 2012.
- A. FAIZULLAEV, Diplomatic Interactions and Negotiations, Negotiation Journal, 2014.
- J.W. SALACUSE, Negotiating: the top ten ways that culture can affect your negotiation, Ivey Business Journal Online, 2004.
- B. TEODORESCU, Strategies and stratagems of negotiation, International Letters of Social and Humanistic Sciences 26, 2014, pp. 157-163.
- W.T. CHEBET, Negotiation skills: keys to business excellence in the 21st century?, European Journal of Research and Reflection in Management Sciences 3(3), 2015, pp. 23-31.
- J.M. BRETT, Negotiating globally, Jossey-Bass, San Francisco, 2014, 3rd edition, chapters 3 and 7.