30299 - GOVERNMENT AND BUSINESS
CLEAM - CLEF - CLEACC - BESS-CLES - BIEMF
Course taught in English
Go to class group/s: 31
Students learn how companies influence public policies, especially in regulated industries; how to work with public Institutions as clients (through public procurement) or as partners (in Public-Private partnerships) and how to stimulate public administrations to design and implement programs that foster a competitive environment.
At the end of the course, also thanks to case studies selected from around the world, students will have developed a general framework to understand the relevance of Public Authorities for businesses competitiveness and also the different roles played
- Excursus of the different forms of Business Government Relations, from a global comparative perspective
- The influences of Government on businesses’ macro and micro economic environment (factors that influence a Country’s and a business’s competitiveness)
- Corporate Lobbying models
- Public Procurement international rules and practices and strategies to bid for public tenders
- Public Private Partnerships: for infrastructure and businesses financing and development
- Public financial instruments for businesses (mainly managed by Government or international organizations, such as the World Bank and other public private development banks)
For each of the above - mentioned topic, a selected case, involving big and medium size companies, are discussed with students in order to help them to practically understand the meaning of working with the Government and therefore to achieve the learning goals.The course is offered through a mixture of frontal lectures and case studies’ discussions.
For Attending students:
70% written exam (open questions).
30% group assignments with 2 presentations (15% each)
There is no mid-term for this course.
For Non attending students:
100% written exam
The text of the exam will be different for attending and non-attending students.
- For attending students, it will be more focused on the content of the lessons, on the cases discussed and on the class-notes + slides. Clearly, readings will help understanding the subject more in depth.
- Questions for non-attending students will be referred to the learning materials (all readings + cases but no slides and class-notes).
- Instructors are available during their office hours for any clarification on the exam for attending ABD non-attending students.
- A selection of readings, available on the e-learning platform
- Selezione di letture, disponibili sulla piattaforma on line