30200 - POLITICAL SCIENCE
CLEAM - CLEF - CLEACC - BESS-CLES - BIEMF
Course taught in English
Go to class group/s: 31
- What is politics? How to study it?
- Power: conceptual debates and their political relevance.
- State and sovereignty: history, contemporary challenges, relationships between the local and the global.
- Nationalism and citizenship.
- Democracy as organization of power and as resistance to power.
- Political participation: political culture, parties, interest groups, social movements.
- The rules of democracy: decision making, electoral process, laws and constitutions
This second part analyses the main characteristics of the Italian political system: history, empirical evidence and interpretation.
- Evolution of the Italian political system.
- Recent trends: change or continuity?
will be able to choose between two options: a partial exam at the end of the first part of the course (45 percent of the final grade), and one at the end of the second part (45 percent); or one cumulative exam at the end of the course (90 percent). The students will also choose over the semester one text from a further readings selection to present to their colleagues or to review in a written report (10 percent).
for Non-attending students:
will be taking one more substantial cumulative exam at the end of the course (100 percent of the final grade).
R. HAGUE, M. HARROP, Comparative Government and Politics. An introduction, Palgrave Macmillan, 2013 (9th edition)
M. COTTA, L. VERZICHELLI, Political Institutions in Italy, Oxford, Oxford University Press, 2007
Articles for further reading on reserve at the Bocconi Library