20521 - MANAGERIAL ISSUES IN MADE IN ITALY INDUSTRIES
CLMG - M - IM - MM - AFC - CLEFIN-FINANCE - CLELI - ACME - DES-ESS - EMIT - GIO
Course taught in English
Go to class group/s: 31
The course is included in the Specialised track on Fashion, Luxury and Made in Italy of the Master of Science in Management.
We consider products and services in which Italy has a strong degree of specialization and innovation, a historical tradition, an outstanding quality profile, a high level of customization (also for serving industrial clients). These industries sustain our international competitiveness in terms of export. We refer to companies from Food, Beverages, Wine, Hotelerie, Furniture, Textiles, Apparel, Shoes, Sunglasses, Mechanics and Automation, Cosmetics. The major part of these industries is analysed in this course, while fashion and design fields are subject of other specialized electives.
These industries are analysed in terms of career opportunities, growth and innovation strategies, business models, economic and financial highlights. Teaching experience is enhanced by the participation as lecturers of managers from different industries. The course interacts closely with the practical issues involved in key Italian industries. The connection between the Italian factor and management practices is dealt by using cases and professionals. Such a in-class interaction forms a central part of the learning process. Students are expected to read cases assigned for each session in advance and to do a teamwork following a brief given by a company on a specific managerial issue.
ACME STUDENTS ONLY
Must run a business game competition (FAST©) simulating some strategic decisions formulated and implemented by a new creative company willing to achieve a profitable international growth
- Evaluation is based 60% on final exam; 40% on teamwork. The overall individual grade can receive an upgrade for outstanding class participation (max 1 point).
- Teamwork: 10 page ppt for the session with the company, for a max 30’ presentation, illustrating goals, methodology, analysis and final results. We kindly ask students to integrate the ppt file with a short word document.
- Final exam: students are asked to take the final exam in the form of a short essay (see the academic calendar for the exam's sessions).
- Evaluation is based 100% on final exam.
- Students are asked to take the final exam in the form of a short essay (see the academic calendar for the exam's sessions).
ACME STUDENTS ONLY
For Attending Students
The 10 credits final grade will be made as follow
First part (60%)
- 36% individual final exam in class in the form of a short essay
- 24% teamwork. 10-page ppt for the session with the company for a max 30’ min.-presentation illustrating goals, methodology, analysis and final results. We kindly ask students to integrate the ppt file with a short word document.
For Not Attending Students
Evaluation is based
- 60% on final exam. Final exam. Students will be asked to take the final exam in the form of a short essay (see the academic calendare for the exam’s sessions).
- 40% Business game Competition (FAST©). Assessment of student performance is based 100% on the results of a business plan simulation played in three full days. For this reason attendance is compulsory during briefing and tutorship sessions and students signatures will always be collected.
The overall individual grade can receive an upgrade for outstanding class participation (max 1 point).
- Handouts and teaching notes available on Blackboard; published articles and case studies available on course reserve.