20477 - MOVIE INDUSTRY
Course taught in English
Go to class group/s: 31
Subsequent modules explore a variety of questions, including
- How is the industry structured, and what shapes its current state and future evolution? What are the main institutional logics underlying film production and distribution?
- What drives sustainable competitive advantage in the industry, and how changes in technology (e.g. digital platforms) and markets (e.g. emergence of global markets) shape competitive positions?
- How do entertainment businesses best allocate resources across a portfolio of projects? How do markets for stars and prestige both constrain and enable firm strategies?
- What are the dominant and emerging business models in the industries, and what are the conditions for their sustainability?
Grading is based on
- Class participation (10%).
- Group project (30%).
- Final written exam (60%).
For non-attending students
Grading is based on a
- Final written exam (100%).
- J.E. SQUIRE (ed.), The Movie Business Book, Focal Press, 2017.
- A. FINNEY, E. TRIANA, The International Film Business - A Market Guide Beyond Hollywood, Routledge, 2015, 2nd edition.
- H.L. VOGEL, Entertainment Industry Economics, Cambridge University Press, 2015, 9th edition.
- C. MOUL, A Concise Handbook of Movie Industry Economics, Cambridge University Press, 2005.
- T. BALIO, Hollywood in the New Millennium, Palgrave, 2013.
- M. CURTIN, J. SHATTUC, The American Television Industry, Palgrave, 2009.
- Strategic issues.
- M. D. SMITH, R. TELANG, Streaming, Sharing, Stealing – Big Data and the Future of Entertainment, The MIT Press, 2016.
- A. ELBERTSE, Blockbusters – Hit-Making, Risk-Taking, and the Big Business of Entertainment, Henry Holt, 2013.
- J.A. KNEE, B.C. GREENWALD, A. SEAVE, The Curse of the Mogul – What’s Wrong with the World’s Leading Media Companies, Portfolio, 2009.
- B. DE WIT, Strategy – An International Perspective, 6th edition, Cengage, 2017.
- E. CATMULL, Creativity, Inc. – Overcoming the Unseen Forces that Stand in the Way of True Inspiration, Random House, 2014.
- Marketing & Distribution
- R. MARICH, Marketing to Moviegoers – A Handbook of Strategies and Tactics, Southern Illinois University Press, 2013 3rd edition.
- F. KERRIGAN, Film Marketing, Elsevier, 2010.
- J.C. ULIN, The Business of Media Distribution Monetizing Film, TV, and Video Content in an Online World, Focal Press, 2014, 2nd edition.
- N. MINGANT, C. TIRTAINE, J. AUGROS, Film Marketing into the Twenty-First Century, Palgrave, 2015.
- R. LOBATO, Shadows Economies of Cinema - Mapping Informal Film Distribution, Palgrave, 2012.