30556 - BEHAVIOURAL SKILLS SEMINAR
Course taught in English
Go to class group/s: 27
There is growing evidence that optimal performance in a complex and dynamic work environment is driven not only by technical competencies but also by soft, behavioral skills that enable individuals and teams to effectively transfer their knowledge and experience and to translate them into extraordinary results. Continuous learning, a growth-oriented mindset, self-regulation abilities together with communication, team management skills are essentials for effective performance and innovation. Teaching and learning experience will be focused on these topics. Given the learning goals, teaching is experience-based and highly interactive. Brief theory modules are followed by experience-based learning situations to build competencies and to facilitate transfer to the class and work environment.
The main topics that are addressed in this seminar are:
- Effective communication and public speaking
- Team building and team working
- The art and craft of creativity and innovation management
- Identify and overcome obstacles that make interpersonal communication difficult.
- Identify public speaking effective techniques
- Recognize team dynamics.
- Distinguish the positive and negative elements in the functioning of teams.
- Distinguish ways and methods to promote creativity and innovation within groups
- Contribute to the good performance of a work group.
- Communicate effectively in interpersonal situations and in public.
- Manage reciprocal influence and promote innovation and creativity.
- Face-to-face lectures
- Exercises (exercises, database, software etc.)
- Case studies /Incidents (traditional, online)
- Interactive class activities (role playing, business game, simulation, online forum, instant polls)
Exercises: games, exercises, practical activities that stimulate the involvement of students in the topics of the Seminars.
Interactive class activities: role playing and simulations that aim at reproducing organizational dynamics and practicing soft skills.
|Continuous assessment||Partial exams||General exam|
Attending students exam will be based on a single open question and the exam will be PASS or FAIL. The exam aims at verify the ability of the student to recognize and describe team dynamics and their problems, barriers to effective communication and public speaking, methods and behaviors to promote innovation.
Due to the active and interactive nature of the Seminars, attendance to all the 16 hours and active participation in class are essential for learning the behavioural skills. Therefore, in order to be considered as attending, students must attend all sessions (16 hours).
Attention: the only exception allowed to miss one class and still be considered attending concerns students who must attend Bocconi events and activities upon authorization by the students office through the Help&Contact application prior to the beginning of the course.
Written exam with multiple-choice and true/false questions, pass or fail mode.
The exams aims at verify the knowledge of concepts, models and theories of the assigned textbooks.
- Class materials and slides.
- STETTNER, Skills for new managers, McGraw-Hill 2014, 2nd Edition.
- Gregersen, H. Questions are the answer, HarperCollins, 2018