30376 - COMMUNICATION AND CULTURAL CONSUMPTION DECISIONS
Course taught in English
Go to class group/s: 31
Our course has two key learning goals, and is thus divided in two parts, such as the course title suggests: Communication activities and Cultural Consumption Decisions. In the first part of the course students will have the chance to learn how to develop and a communication campaign. We will cover the fundamentals of communication activities and then we will specifically focus attention on specialized communication skills for cultural, experiential and luxury consumption. In the second part of the course students will pursue the study topic of cultural consumption and will be exposed to state-of-the-art research on topics such as perception, persuasion, decision-making, and social influence. Students will also learn to apply the study of consumer behavior to cultural and creative industry contexts.
- Integrated marketing communications
- Advertising for culture and arts
- Public Relations, events and Sponsorships
- Naming as a communication tool
- Cognition, Emotions, and Attitudes
- Social Influence.
- Experiential, Conceptual, and Cultural Consumption.
- Understand the basics of a communication strategy and more specifically learn about the specificities of those communication tools which are most relevant for cultural and creative industries
- Describe the consumer decision-making process (in particular, how consumers recognize a need, search for information, evaluate different options, and make purchase decisions).
- Identify the best communication tools to influence and persuade consumers in the experiential, luxury and cultural sectors.
- Analyze the behavior of consumers. Develop and simulate plans for influencing consumers' behavior in the marketplace.
- Face-to-face lectures
- Online lectures
- Guest speaker's talks (in class or in distance)
- Case studies /Incidents (traditional, online)
- Group assignments
- Interactive class activities (role playing, business game, simulation, online forum, instant polls)
In each assignment, students work in teams. Groups will apply one of the topics discussed in class to a cultural/creative brand, product, or service. In some cases brands and product/services will be assigned, in other cases students will have the option to freely choose the preferred area on which to apply their analysis. Groups might also be asked to present their results/ideas with a short pitch.
|Continuous assessment||Partial exams||General exam|
Attending students are evaluated based on group assignments and based on a final written exam at the end of the course.
- The exam determines 60% of the final grade while the assignments account for the remaining 40%.
- The written exam is an individual written test (with open end and multiple choice questions) that covers materials from the course’s slides and will be divided in two sections, one for each course part (communication activities and cultural consumption decisions).
Non-attending students are evaluated based on a final written exam at the end of the course. The exam determines 100% of the final grade. The exam is an individual written test that will cover materials from articles and papers that will be available in a Course Reserve. The exam will consist of seven open questions. Students need to select six questions which they answer (one question has to remain blank). The questions ask students to either explain some of the theories and empirical findings or to apply theories and concepts.
Study material for exam will consist in lecture slides, lesson notes and readings that will be uploaded on the course platform.
Course material consists in a set of readings that will be made available as a Course Reserve from Bocconi Library.