30262 - LEADERSHIP SKILLS
Course taught in English
Class-group lessons delivered on campus
Basic knowledge of Organizational Behavior. Although this is not a pre-requisite, please keep in mind that the course is taught exclusively in English; therefore complete fluency in English is required. During the course, the students are shown movies in English without subtitles, assigned academic readings in English and administered tests/exams for which dictionaries are not allowed.
The course Leadership Skills provides you with the opportunity to challenge yourself with setting up the pre-conditions for optimal performance to be achieved with and through the people you are working with. It improves your ability to build and manage constructive relationships and to get to high value added results managing not only your own, but also other people’s performance. The determinants of optimal performance, that is competence, motivation and positive psychological states, are explored with the aim of both improving your ability to engage yourself and the people you are working with and your effectiveness when managing problem/underperforming people. Leadership skills give you the opportunity to reflect and act upon change: change is one of the relevant dimensions of leadership and becoming a leader requires you to go through a personal and professional transition. Leadership skills gives you the resources needed to specifically manage the transition from Individual Contributor to Manager providing you with greater self-awareness and therefore increased effectiveness.
- What is leadership? What are its value added and challenges?
- The main theories of leadership: trait, behaviors, situational approach, as well as new-age theories of leadership.
- Influence and persuasion.
- Corruption / Ethical leadership.
- Designing and leading teams.
- Minorities, women and leadership.
- Organizational culture and leadership in multicultural environments.
- Know and understand leadership-specific terms.
- Have an understanding of yourself as a person and a leader in terms of personality traits, leadership capacity, and proclivity to biases that dampen leadership potential.
- Know best practices for acting and leading in different situations (conditional on a variety of factors).
- Know how to manage people in a multicultural and dynamic environment.
- Choose the most appropriate leadership style given the situation.
- Be persuasive in your communications with people with whom you are working.
- Stimulate creative work among people with whom you are working.
- Draw on benefits and overcome challenges associated with teamwork.
- Develop sensitivity to different cultures.
- Face-to-face lectures
- Guest speaker's talks (in class or in distance)
- Case studies /Incidents (traditional, online)
- Group assignments
- Interactive class activities (role playing, business game, simulation, online forum, instant polls)
Weekly lectures are supplemented with engaging slides, example videos, class activities, and group project. I am available to provide one-on-one consultation during the office hours.
|Continuous assessment||Partial exams||General exam|
- 75% of the grade: 3 in-class tests that rely on multiple choice questions. Students have to take all 3 tests and earn a minimum grade of 18/30 on each test to pass the course. The final grade is computed by averaging the two best scores on the 2/3 tests.
- 25% of the grade: group project that involves researching a topic, writing a paper on it and presenting the findings to the class.
IMPORTANT: Although there is no "final exam" (as the exam component of the grade is calculated on the basis of the three in-class tests), all attending students are required to register fo the final exam. To be sure, you not need to physically come to this final exam; this is simply a procedure to ensure that your grade earned in class is transferred to your transcript.
100% of the grade: final exam at the end of the course.
The syllabus details the readings for each course. There is no assigned textbook.
- P.G. NORTHOUSE, Leadership, Sage, 8th Edition.