30230 - PERSONAL SELLING
Course taught in English
Go to class group/s: 31
Class 31: PAOLO GUENZI
Knowledge about fundamentals of marketing is recommended.
The field of selling and sales management is characterized by extremely attractive job opportunities, especially because of the increasing complexity and professionalism of these profiles, as well as the lack of applicants and talents with a specific academic background on these topics.
The role and contribution of salespeople in the selling firm’s processes are addressed. The focus is on the following topics:
- Managing the selling process: from transaction to relationship.
- The changing role, nature and activities of salespeople.
- Key competencies, skills and behaviours of salespeople.
- Analyzing and managing a portfolio of relationships with customers.
- The impact of technology on the sales job.
- From selling products to selling solutions and value.
- Managing interpersonal relationships with customers.
- Managing the different phases of the selling process: from prospecting to follow-ups
- Listening skills.
- Communication skills.
- Negotiation skills.
- Explain the typical talents possessed by successful salespeople.
- Illustrate and understand the typical activities performed by salespeople.
- Describe analytical tools and decision-making methods to practical choices.
- Recognize own behaviours and counterparts' behaviours in interpersonal interactions.
- Explain how listening, communication and negotiation skills in interpersonal interactions work.
- Learn how to best manage each phase of the typical selling process.
- Apply in practice the key concepts and principles learnt.
- Apply analytical tools and decision-making methods to practical choices.
- Analyze own behaviours and counterparts' behaviours in interpersonal interactions.
- Develop listening, communication and negotiation skills in interpersonal interactions.
- Face-to-face lectures
- Guest speaker's talks (in class or in distance)
- Case studies /Incidents (traditional, online)
- Group assignments
- Interactive class activities (role playing, business game, simulation, online forum, instant polls)
- Guest speakers present real world cases about how they manage personal selling processes.
- Case studies focus on customer portfolio analysis.
- Role plays are specifically developed to foster listening, communication and negotiation skills in interpersonal selling processes.
- Group projects: planning a call, preparing and managing a presentation to a prospect.
|Continuous assessment||Partial exams||General exam|
- Written exam, mix of open and multiple choice questions.
- Up to 3 extra points based on group projects, evaluated by professors and peers
Written exam, mix of open and multiple choice questions.
- S. CASTLEBERRY, J. TANNER, Selling: Building Partnerships, McGrawHill Irwin, 10th Edition (only the chapters discussed in class).
- Slides by the Professors, including Guest Speakers' presentations
- S. CASTLEBERRY, J. TANNER, Selling: Building Partnerships, McGrawHill Irwin, 10th Edition (all chapters).