30230 - PERSONAL SELLING
Course taught in English
Go to class group/s: 31
Class 31: PAOLO GUENZI
Knowledge about fundamentals of marketing is recommended.
The field of selling and sales management is characterized by extremely attractive job opportunities, especially because of the increasing complexity and professionalism of these profiles, as well as the lack of applicants and talents with a specific academic background on these topics.
The role and contribution of salespeople in the selling firm’s processes are addressed. The focus is on the following topics:
- Managing the selling process: from transaction to relationship.
- The changing role, nature and activities of salespeople.
- Key competencies, skills and behaviours of salespeople.
- Analyzing and managing a portfolio of relationships with customers.
- The impact of technology on the sales job.
- From selling products to selling solutions and value.
- Managing interpersonal relationships with customers.
- Listening skills.
- Communication skills.
- Negotiation skills.
- Explain the typical talents possessed by successful salespeople.
- Illustrate and understand the typical activities performed by salespeople.
- Describe analytical tools and decision-making methods to practical choices.
- Recognize own behaviours and counterparts' behaviours in interpersonal interactions.
- Explain how listening, communication and negotiation skills in interpersonal interactions work.
- Apply analytical tools and decision-making methods to practical choices.
- Analyze own behaviours and counterparts' behaviours in interpersonal interactions.
- Develop listening, communication and negotiation skills in interpersonal interactions.
- Face-to-face lectures
- Guest speaker's talks (in class or in distance)
- Case studies /Incidents (traditional, online)
- Interactive class activities (role playing, business game, simulation, online forum, instant polls)
- Guest speakers present real world cases about how they manage personal selling processes.
- Case studies focus on customer portfolio analysis.
- Role plays are specifically developed to foster listening, communication and negotiation skills in interpersonal selling processes.
|Continuous assessment||Partial exams||General exam|
The exam format is exactly the same for attending and non attending students. The only difference is the teaching material to be prepared.
- S. CASTLEBERRY, J. TANNER, Selling: Building Partnerships, McGrawHill Irwin, 9th Edition (only the chapters discussed in class).
- Slides by the Professors.
- S. CASTLEBERRY, J. TANNER, Selling: Building Partnerships, McGrawHill Irwin, 9th Edition (all chapters).