20591 - COMPUTER PROGRAMMING AND DATABASE SYSTEMS
Course taught in English
Go to class group/s: 23
Scope of the course is to provide a thorough introduction to computer programming (in Python) and database systems. The course covers the practical foundations of computer science, which are extensively used in subsequent courses of the education program.
- Introduction to programming in Python.
- Data structures and basic algorithms.
- Programming techniques overview.
- Object-oriented programming - classes and methods.
- Numerical and scientific libraries.
- Introduction to databases.
- Large scale database systems.
- Describe fundamental programming strategies and the functioning principles of database systems.
- Read/write advanced Python codes.
- Master object-oriented programming.
- Develop codes for algorithmic problem solving.
- Handle large scale databases.
- Face-to-face lectures
- Exercises (exercises, database, software etc.)
Exercises consist in programming assignments to be done in class under the supervision of the Instructor and Teaching Assistants.
|Continuous assessment||Partial exams||General exam|
- The written exam consists in programming exercises to be performed at the PC in the computer room. This contributes to the remaining 50% of the final grade.
- The individual assignment consists in a programming code to solve a concrete database problem, to be developed individually and described through a written report, which is evaluated by the teachers.This contributes to 50% of the final grade.
Both parts are used to asses both the "knowledge and understanding" and the "applying knowledge and understanding" learning objectives.
The textbooks are communicated prior to the start of the course. Handouts of each lecture and sample codes are provided.