20481 - BUSINESS GAME (for Management)
Course taught in English
This highly interactive and hands-on course intends to develop students’ management skills, to enhance their leadership attitudes, and to strengthen their ability to make and execute managerial decisions within a highly interdependent organizational setting. The course is based on the in-depth analysis of a real business case from a multi-functional perspective. Participants are exposed to multi-dimensional decision making processes ranging from corporate strategy development, project management, project execution - through a business simulation on Manufacturing Foot-print Redesign - and performance control.
Through the course sessions, several questions are addressed. Among the others, students analyze the following:
- Stimulate corporate entrepreneurship strategies: how can we enhance and use the entrepreneurial drive in the entire group to generate new growth options without losing the grip on costs and efficiency? Do we need to change our formal strategic planning system, organizational structure, and processes to embrace innovative business ideas from our subsidiaries?
- Project management: what are the most influential variables in a project environment? What are the tools and techniques that companies can leverage in order to plan and control complex projects?
- Manufacturing Foot-print redesign: how can a company properly plan this complex project? Which kind of external events can be forecasted and related mitigation actions implemented? How can a company keep its plan under control?
- Financial and social performance: what are the possible performance implications of innovative entrepreneurial and operational projects to the company’s P&L? What KPIs, measures, and performance-measurement systems may allow us to capture the performance implications of company projects? How can we redesign measures and managerial incentive systems to increase both entrepreneurial and efficiency-oriented initiatives? How can we combine the assessment of both financial and social performance of the company’s projects?
- Recognize the need for a holistic approach to the analysis of corporate, business and functional strategies.
- Describe the major issues of the organizational and project management design.
- Define the most suitable way of approaching a complex process related to manufacturing and operations management decisions.
- Explain the most relevant operational and financial KPIs to monitor a complex decision making process.
- Analyze the alignment between Corporate, Business and Functional strategies.
- Formulate a proper Project Management approach, and use the relevant tool (Pert, Gantt, BDS, etc.) applyed in this area.
- Evaluate the major issues of a Manufacturing Foot-print Redesign and develop a consistent decision making process to face and mitigate the related uncertainty.
- Deveop and interpret the relevant financial and non-financial performances related to the specific business case.
The course is designed as a “Learning Lab” in which students can develop several managerial skills such as team working, problem solving, critical thinking, creativity, and effective presentation.
- Face-to-face lectures
- Case studies /Incidents (traditional, online)
- Group assignments
- Interactive class activities (role playing, business game, simulation, online forum, instant polls)
This course is characterized by the adoption of an experiential learning approach, through a Lab in which a real case study and simulations are intensively used. This teaching methodology lets the participant directly implement practices and tools learned in class, developing problem setting and problem solving skills, as well as group working ones. Thanks to the use of simulation tools, participants live a realistic experience of the problems affecting project management and execution. They can also appreciate the benefits that can be gained through the introduction of up-to-date managerial practices, which they have to implement during simulations and business games. This teaching methodology, heavily based on interaction and class participation, aims at providing students with a deep insight of the main problems and solutions peculiar to a multi-functional and compex problem through a learning experience that reproduces real life situations.
|Continuous assessment||Partial exams||General exam|
The final evaluation is based on Pass/Fail grade. In each of the four modules students are requested to develiver specific Gruop Assignements. The attendance is measured by the specific app available to all students. According to the rules and regulations of Bocconi University, to take the exam as an attending-student, an attendance rate equal to or higher than 75% must be reported.
The course is packaged in a few number of modules (four half days) and the attendance is compulsory.
To be defined at the beginning of the course.
To be defined at the beginnig of the course.