20356 - PRECORSO DI STATISTICA / STATISTICS - PREPARATORY COURSE
For the instruction language of the course see class group/s below
Go to class group/s: 1
Class group/s taught in English
The course has not specific prerequisites
The course aims to provide students with the basic knowledge of statistics and data analysis necessary to face the compulsory courses of Quantitative Methods, present in the Master M, IM, MM, GIO, PPA.
- Introduction to data sources, database, sampling.
- Description of qualitative data: classification of variables, univariate and bivariate analysis, graphical representations.
- Description of quantitative data: summary measures, outliers detection, bivariate analysis, scatter plots.
- Probability and random variables(brief notes): standard distributions
- Introduction to inferential statistics: point and interval estimation, introduction to esting theory
- Test for bivariate analysis: test of indipendence, test on the difference of means.
- Simple regression and test on the coefficients.
- Recognize different types of data.
- Understand the difference between the tools of descriptive and inferential statistics, and identify the most suitable approach for the problem at hand.
- Recognize simple statistical models.
- Properly summarize a dataset.
- Estimate and test hypotheses on the unknown parameters of a population based on sample data.
- Build simple statistical models, as regression models, to study the relationships between variables of interest.
- Face-to-face lectures
|Continuous assessment||Partial exams||General exam|
Paul Newbold, William Carlson and Betty Thorne, STATISTICS FOR BUSINESS & ECONOMICS 9e, 2019