I am a professor of economics at Insubria University (Varese); at Bocconi I teach a course in Evolution of Economic Ideas (cod. 30294) and I am a research fellow at the Baffi Carefin Centre.
My research focuses on the history and methodology of microeconomics, with special attention to choice and utility theory, experimental and behavioral economics, and measurement theory. My book on Measuring Utility. From the Marginal Revolution to Behavioral Economics was published in 2019 by Oxford University Press.I am currently working on another book titled Expected Utility Theory and Beyond, under contract with Cambridge University Press.
English CV (June 2022).
- A Review of Nudges: Definitions, Justifications, Effectiveness, with L. Congiu. Journal of Economic Surveys, 2022.
- On the Recent Philosophy of Decision Theory. Journal of Economic Methodology, 2021.
- Message and Environment: A Framework for Nudges and Choice Architecture, with L. Congiu. Behavioural Public Policy, 2020.
- Measuring Utility. From the Marginal Revolution to Behavioral Economics. New York: Oxford University Press, 2019.
- Expected Utility Theory and Experimental Utility Measurement, 1950–1985: From Confidence to Scepticism. European Journal of the History of Economic Thought, 2017.
- How Economists Came to Accept Expected Utility Theory: The Case of Samuelson and Savage. Journal of Economic Perspectives, 2016.
- Measuring the Economizing Mind in the 1940s and 1950s: The Mosteller–Nogee and Davidson–Suppes–Siegel Experiments to Measure the Utility of Money. History of Political Economy, 2016.
- Nash Was a First to Axiomatize Expected Utility, with H. Bleichrodt, C. Li, and P.P. Wakker. Theory and Decision, 2016.
- Over-the-Counter Markets vs. Double Auctions: A Comparative Experimental Study, with G. Attanasi and S. Centorrino. Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics, 2016.
- Measurement Theory and Utility Analysis in Suppes’ Early Work, 1951–1958. Journal of Economic Methodology, 2016.
- Were Jevons, Menger and Walras Really Cardinalists? On the Notion of Measurement in Utility Theory, Psychology, Mathematics and Other Disciplines, 1870–1910. History of Political Economy, 2013.
- How Cardinal Utility Entered Economic Analysis, 1909–1944. European Journal of the History of Economic Thought, 20.
- Becker Random Behavior and the As-If Defense of Rational Choice Theory in Demand Analysis, with P. Tubaro. Journal of Economic Methodology, 2011.
- Early Experiments in Consumer Demand Theory: 1930–1970. History of Political Economy, 2007.
- History of Consumer Demand Theory 1871–1971: A Neo-Kantian Rational Reconstruction. European Journal of the History of Economic Thought, 2007.