Courses a.y. 2020/2021
30329 HISTORY (MODULE II- HISTORY OF POLITICAL INSTITUTIONS)
30524 ECONOMIC HISTORY
40295 HISTORY OF INSTITUTIONS: CIVIC, ECONOMIC AND POLITICAL
Mattia Fochesato is Assistant Professor of Economic History at the Department of Social and Political Science, Bocconi University and research affiliate at the Dondena Center and BIDSA.
His research focuses on the long run determinants of income and wealth distribution across different world regions.
His research has been published in Nature, Explorations in Economic History, The Journal of Public Economics and Antiquity.
2019 – today Assistant Professor, Department of Political and Social Sciences, Bocconi University
2018 – 2019 Max Geldner Assistant Professor, Faculty of Business and Economics, Basel University
2015 – 2018 Post-doctoral Associate, Social Science Division, NYU Abu Dhabi
2014 – 2015 Marie Curie Experienced Researcher Fellow, Economics, SciencesPo, Paris, France
2013 PhD Economics, Department of Economic and Statistics – University of Siena, Italy.
2009 MSc. Economics, Department of Economic and Statistics – University of Siena, Italy.
Economic history; political economy; archeology
- Fochesato, M., 2021, “Plagues, wars, political change and fiscal capacity. Late medieval and renaissance Siena, 1337-1556. Economic History Review, https://doi.org/10.1111/ehr.13069
- Fochesato, M., Bogaard, A. and S. Bowles, S., 2019, “Comparing ancient inequalities: the challenge of comparability, bias, and precision.” Antiquity, vol. 93, Issue 370, pp. 853-869.
- Bogaard, A., Fochesato, M. and S. Bowles, S., 2019, “The farming-inequality nexus: new methods and evidence from western Eurasia.” Antiquity, vol. 93, Issue 371, pp. 1129-1143.
- Fochesato, M., 2018, “Origins of Europe’s North-South Divide: Population Changes, Real Wages and the ‘Little Divergence’ in Early Modern Europe”, Explorations in Economic History, 70:91-131.
- Kohler. T., Smith, M., Bogaard, A., Feinman, G.,Peterson, C., Betzenhauser, A., Pailes, M., Elizabeth C. Stone, E., Prentiss, M., Dennehy, T., Ellyson, L., Nicholas, L., Ronald K. Faulseit, R., Styring, A., Whitlam, J., Fochesato, M., Foor, F. and Bowles, S., “Greater Post-Neolithic Wealth Disparities in Eurasia than Americas”, 2017, Nature, http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/nature24646
- Fochesato, M. and Bowles, S., 2015, “Nordic Exceptionalism? Social democratic egalitarianism in world historic perspective.” Journal of Public Economics, 127: 30-44.
- Bogaard, A., Styring, A., Whitlam, J., Fochesato, M. and Bowles, S., 2018. “Farming, inequality and urbanization: a comparative analysis of late prehistoric northern Mesopotamia and south-west Germany.” In Ten Thousand Years of Inequality: The Archaeology of Wealth Differences, edited by T. Kohler and M. Smith. Tucson: University of Arizona Press, Amerind Seminar Series.